4 Documents That Every Parent Needs for Their 18 year-old
Although becoming an adult has privileges, there are risks that every parent should be aware of. The following documents can save you from frustration, and aggravation:
- Medical Power of Attorney
- Gives parents the authority to make medical decisions. Each State determines when this will take effect, but in times of crisis this is a necessity.
- Around age 18 is when certain mental health issues can manifest themselves.
- Used to find out status of the child, if admitted to the hospital
- HIPAA Authorization
- Allows the Doctor to speak with the parents, or with whoever the student chooses.
- Required when trying to resolve medical claims.
- Financial Power of Attorney
- Important to manage child’s finances
- Helpful if child were to become incapacitated, and help avoid the costly and lengthy process of having to appoint a Legal Guardian.
- If the student travels abroad, or may need assistance due to fraud.
- Education Records Release
- Avoid be shocked by a scholarship that was cancelled because all the necessary paperwork is not in order.